You’ll need many boxes in assorted sizes. If you decide to collect boxes from grocery or liquor stores, make sure you start early. All boxes should be clean and in good condition. In addition, each box must have a cover so that the box can be closed securely and sealed. You can also purchase boxes from a moving supply store or through All AmericanMoving, Storage and Delivery.
In some cases, used boxes may be available from your mover. Professional moving boxes come in a variety of shapes and sizes. In addition, there are boxes designed for specific uses:
- Dish Pack – extra sturdy, double-walled box for all breakables, such as dishes, crystal, and glasses.
- Wardrobe Carton – a large box with a hanger bar to accommodate clothes from your closet, or other items which are hung on hangers.
- Mirror Carton – used to pack mirrors, glass, or pictures.
- Mattress Carton – available in king, queen, double, twin, and crib sizes. You must have one for each box spring and regular mattress.
You’ll need plenty of packing paper. This should be clean, unprinted newsprint paper since the print on regular newspapers may come off. Bundles of unprinted paper can be
purchased through All American Moving, Storage and Delivery.
- Packing tape – rolls of plastic tape at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. In addition, a tape dispenser will make the job much easier.
- Packing material for delicate items – bubble wrap, paper towels, or tissue paper.
- Permanent marker – this should be a broad-tipped marker for labeling boxes with your name, the contents of the box, which room it should go to in your new home, and any other important information about the contents (i.e., FRAGILE, THIS SIDE UP, etc.).
- Scissors – have a couple of pairs available.
- Sealable plastic bags – to hold knobs, handles, screws, picture hooks, remote controls, keys, and other items which may become easily lost.
- Trash bags – at least one for every room (so you won’t be tempted to pack items you should discard).
- Tools – in case you need to disassemble an item.
Click here to get a free quote for moving within Columbus and Central Ohio